Here we are–December 31, 2016. Just like that, another year has flown by. This year was characterized by college, friends, family, and travels both small and large scale. While I’m sad that life occurs too quickly, all I can say is that I am thankful to be where I am today. I’m healthy, happy, loved, supported, and so much more due to the communities that I have been blessed with. I’d just like to take a moment to recall some of my favorite memories with you.
- January: Learning about the HIV/AIDS social justice issue on my service trip to Chicago, IL
- June: Shadowing an OB/GYN and getting to use the doppler to hear a baby’s heartbeat
- July: Visiting Seattle, WA and Alaska on a cruise with my family
- July: Exploring Chicago, IL with my mom: visiting Navy Pier, shopping, eating delicious food
- August: Completing my first triathlon despite the terrifying swim portion
- August: Being a camp counselor to a precious foster child at Royal Family Kids Camp
- Summer: Hiking and exploring Milwaukee with my high school friends
- School year: Having my job on the ALIVE team, being a TRIPS leader, spending time with my friends, beginning research, connecting with my professors, and so much more
I have high hopes for 2017. First, I have my children’s medical trip to Arkansas. Then, I need to make it through second semester of sophomore year. I will be taking Organic Chemistry, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, Physics, and the Christian Tradition. While it will probably be another hard semester, I am excited to be reunited with my friends and professors. In the summer, I hope to do some kind of race, travel somewhere, and volunteer at Royal Family Kids Camp, Finally, the goal in the fall is to spend the semester in Quito, Ecuador!
There are so many amazing opportunities to look forward to in 2017, but I’m hoping this year to be less future-focused, but rather enjoy one day at a time. I feel like that’s the only way to help time slow down just a hare so that I can take in all of these memories. 2017 will definitely be a year of new experiences especially with the leadership roles that I am taking on and with the traveling that I will be doing. Most importantly, I hope that 2017 is a year of spiritual growth for me. I want to continue deepening my faith and challenging myself to trust God’s plan for me.
Happy New Year!